Here is another reason to love your slow cooker! This beautiful, most delicious, aroma scented-all-over-your-home bread!
I had never heard of making bread in the slow-cooker until a friend posted a recipe for it! Wait, what? Bread? In the slow-cooker? YUP! I researched recipes and I knew what I was going to do. Try it! I made it and thought I should share. And here is how…
From start to finish: 3 hours 50 minutes
Cooling time: 20 minutes
- 1 envelope active dry yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
1. Line slow-cooker with parchment paper. In a large stand mixing bowl, using the whisk attachment, combine yeast and sugar. Add water, oil, and salt and stir until combined. Slowly, add the flour one cup at a time. Once the dough gets too thick for the whisk, switch to your dough hook attachment and continue to add the rest of the flour. Knead it for about 5-10 minutes. The dough shouldn’t be sticking to the sides of your bowl that’s when you know it’s kneaded correctly.
2. Turn the stand mixer off, take the dough out of the bowl forming it into a ball shape, and place it into the slow-cooker in the “warm” setting. Cover and let rise til double its size. About 1 hour.
3. Once risen, uncover, and punch the dough down. Shape it back into a ball and place it back in the slow-cooker. Set the heat setting to high, cover, and leave it for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
4. Turn slow-cooker off. Carefully remove the bread from the slow-cooker and place it on a cookie sheet. Set your oven on to broil. Broil the bread for 2-3 minutes for a light golden top or 3-4 minutes for a nice darker top like mine.
5. Cool bread for at least 20 minutes. Slice and serve. Enjoy!